- We build a framework of digital quality marks, that technically validates the code and tooling of a website or software application with our values. We call these signs of merit our ‘Public Badges’.
- We facilitate a software ecosystem that’s based on our values and that provides its users with alternatives to the current commercial apps and websites. Additionally we implement these software tools within the platforms and channels of our coalition, with a potential reach of millions of people in The Netherlands.
- We raise awareness of public values in the use of the internet by means of campaigning, lobbying and event organizing.
Currently, PublicSpaces is working on:
- Developing the prototype of the first Public Badge
- Building a network of European partner organisations
- Stirring the public debate with events in the Netherlands and abroad
- Implementing the following open source alternatives within the platforms of our partners:
- Dialog – completely encrypted end-to-end dialog, based on Signal.
- Login and sign-on – based on IRMA.
- Commenting and discussion – based on ISSO.
- Content sharing multimedia-platform – based on Peertube.
The coalition does not do all that by itself. We engage as many interested parties as possible; we work with the community of open source software developers. And we leverage existing alternatives that are already in use. These are vetted against our values, and if found to be a good fit, we bring them to our audience. In the Netherlands alone, we have a reach of 5 to 7 million people. And we’re hard at work to make this a European effort.
You can read about our roadmap for development. In the meantime, we work tirelessly to get as many other people and organizations as possible on board. Our success depends strongly on a movement to support our mission. Advocacy and awareness are crucial to this success.
Interested in joining? Reach out to us!